Thursday, June 14, 2012

Some Cynthia Rylant Favorites


Isn't summer a great time to get outside in the shade with some good books?
Some of my favorite children's books are by Cynthia Rylant.  She has such an ability to tell a delightful, simple story that we all enjoy.  (not sure what happened with some of these cut/paste lines!)

Mr. Putter and Tabby Clear the Decks
There hasn't been a Mr Putter & Tabby book yet that we haven't loved.  Mr. Putter is "old" as he says and lives next door to Mrs. Teaberry, also "old."  They are good friends who help each other out in some way in every book.
The Relatives Came
If you are taking a trip to see family this summer, read this first.  Especially if you're from Virginia- which we are!  A family leaves their country home in VA "when their grapes were nearly purple enough to pick, but not quite."    They visit for weeks and love their time together until it's time to go back home to their grapes.  I love this one!
When I Was Young in the Mountains
When I was Young in the Mountains tells of family life years ago in the country.  There is a sweetness and realness to this one that engages us all.  Another treasure.

Linking Up to Read Aloud Thursdays   

7 comments:

Amanda said...

It wasn't until we moved to WV that I learned The Relatives Came was a special book for my father's side of the family, living in Elizabeth, WV. Come to find out, my aunts and Grandparents always read it aloud when my family was on its way from VA! What a special book! All her books are great. :)

Bluerose said...

I've been seeing Cynthia Rylant's name around a good bit lately, all with compliments. I'll have to try harder to find some of her works now.

Beth said...

I don't think we've read many Cynthia Rylant books. We will have to remedy that.

podso said...

I love your suggestions! Little B got her books last week for her birthday and last night they read the bathtub one. I hear it made a hit!

melissa said...

You'll have to find her Cobblestone Kids ones. The illustrations are wonderful. :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

My girls have loved Mr. Putter and Tabby! All of these are great picks. Cynthia Rylant is so gifted.
Thank you so much for linking up to RAT!

Patricia said...

we love "when I was young in the mountains". It was a great story! I'll have to look up the other books you mentioned.