Thursday, June 21, 2012

The House at Pooh Corner and Nancy Drew

There is something wonderful about finding a new book, one we've never read.  I tend to get pretty excited.
There is something equally as wonderful, though, about returning to books I've read to my older children.  Books we enjoyed when they were younger and now it's Sammy's or Lucy's turn to hear a new tale, a new adventure.  That's comfort food for my heart and my brain!

This week, Sam and I are reading A.A. Milne's The House at Pooh Corner.  I love this as one of his first chapter books because each chapter could stand alone- it's a good introduction to longer listening with fewer pictures.  I also love it because it's Pooh- that's reason enough!  Sammy grins when he hears something silly, and even Jack has listened in occasionally, smiling and nodding at the funny parts he remembers hearing when he was little.
Thanks to someone's post from last week, we got some Nancy Drew at the library for Kayla.  She's hooked!  She spent about three hours yesterday listening to one mystery on cd while doing puzzles.  I didn't read Nancy Drew as a kid but it's been fun to hear other moms say, "Oh, I loved Nancy Drew!"

Linking up to Read Aloud Thursdays!   

5 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I'm one of those moms who loves Nancy Drew. I also adore Pooh! They are still a bit too wordy for my little guy.

podso said...

I read every one. Can't believe she is that old already. but I guess she is! I wonder if there are still Cherry Ames book--she was a Nancy Drew turned nurse. I read all of them and I'm sure that helped in my career choice (seriously).

melissa said...

I never read Nancy Drew, and my girls didn't take to them either. My boys read the Hardy Boys, though.

Go figure.

And it wasn't until I was an adult that I read 'Alice in Wonderland'...now count it as a favorite, and maybe even more enjoyable now. I get the humor! :)

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, how I love Pooh! We actually listened to the Pooh stories on CD this week.

My oldest daughter discovered Nancy Drew a few weeks ago, too. :-)

Amy Maze said...

Pooh was my first read aloud with my little guy. I think he had just turned 3 when we started it, and I agree, it's a great choice for a first chapter book.