Friday, March 2, 2012

Birthdays and A Book List

It's Read Across America Day!
We don't really need an excuse to settle in with a good book but if we did, surely this would be it!  We did go to the library this morning and load up.  And this afternoon is turning out to be perfect for reading.  It's dark, cool, and pouring the rain right now.  So, I  have called a break from "school" in favor of an afternoon of reading some quality literature.  (I know- that's really not a break.  That's probably one of THE best things they could be doing.  But the kids think they're getting away with something and they like it!)  I keep thinking I'd like to make a list of some of our favorites.  It would be hard to do but worth a try.
In other news, today is Jack's last day as a single-digit aged kid.  Double digits tomorrow.  (inward sigh...)
I remember a lot about my tenth birthday- in particular a $10 check from my grandparents and a beautiful silver-blue ten speed bike from my parents.  I loved that bike.  And I loved all the "10s."

If you're looking for something for your kids to read, here are just a few suggestions for chapter books.  I'd love to hear some from you!

Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
The Railway Children by Edith Nesbit
Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
The Narnia Series by C.S. Lewis
The Adventures of Ali Baba Bernstein by Johanna Hurwitz
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
Carry on Mr. Bowditch by Jean Latham
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater
The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
A Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski
Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson
Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary
The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit
Lumber Camp Library by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock
The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh

No comments: