Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pirates and Harmonicas (Read Alouds!)

I have always enjoyed our local library, especially the libriarians that work there.  Sometimes, though, the book selection has been disappointing.  Last week we joined another library, in the next town.  So far, we have been able to find lots of things that weren't available to us before.  Surely two libraries will be better than one!
Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
I am not usually a fan of ABC books but I have to say, this one is a keeper.  It actually tells a story in rhyme as the "mateys" search for letters.  My young ones have asked for this one several times.  Sam says he loves this book!
"In the sand sat a cannonball carved with a C!
They dug for doubloons and scooped up a D!"
Lentil (Picture Puffin Books)
We read Lentil back when we lived in Charlotte but couldn't find it here.  It was a treat to finally find it last week at our "new" library.  In classic Robert McCloskey style, the big black and white pictures and simple story quickly draw you in.  It's fun to see how Lentil's love of playing the harmonica serves his whole Ohio town in the end.  We've read this one many times, too!
Happy Reading!

Linking Up to Read Aloud Thursdays          

2 comments:

podso said...

And thank you!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I bought that ABC book for a friend's little boy who loves pirates. I agree--it's a cute ABC book, which I don't always find charming.

You just can't beat McCloskey, can you?

Thanks so much for linking up!