Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Little from Today's School Morning

It was around 8:00 this morning when I pulled up the shades and opened the windows.  The bushes were covered in sparkling spider webs.
What else would I do but send everyone outside (with jackets!) and get to our first Nature Study Lesson?
It's times like this that I LOVE homeschooling.  (It's also times like this that I need to remind myself of when I don't love it so much.)  The world was our classroom this morning and all of us, from the youngest to the oldest, learned something new.
I grabbed our new copy of Handbook of Nature Study and turned to the section on spider webs.  It has quick facts about everything and so many good questions to ask that help guide the kids' observations.  It's fun to hear things like "Hey!  Look at this!" and "Mom, I read something about this once.  I'm going to get some paper."  I think I am really going to like using this book.
Something else I'm excited about is our new "Drill Kit for Multiplication Memorization" by Leigh Bortins.  (sounds like a lot of fun, right??)  It will  help with the squares, cubes, and the rest of the tables.  Kayla helped me put it together and wanted to get started on it.
Who am I to say no to practicing math facts??

And: a few books the kids are flying through this week:
Jack- Amos Fortune and The Bronze Bow
Kayla- Understood Betsy
Samuel- Lentil by Robert McCloskey  He really likes this one!

2 comments:

podso said...

Oh my! This brings back memories. Just why I loved homeschooling.

Amanda said...

So we're totally sold on homeschooling, if we ever get around to actually having children. So keep the details coming! Love it.