Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thornton Burgess Books

Jimmy Skunk.
Reddy Fox.
Prickly Porky.
Old Man Coyote.
Granny Fox.
Buster Bear.
Billy Possum.
And so you have a few of Thornton Burgess's endearing storybook characters.  My oldest has always loved animals and read through all of these chapter books a few years ago.  I loved watching him smile as he read and sometimes laugh out loud.  They are easy enough for a child who is getting into chapter books, and the stories are timeless and fun to read.  
This week we are reading one written in 1916,  The Adventures of Prickly Porky. I will say my eight year old was skeptical (maybe because of the ease of these books) but she has been won over, and the younger kids are enjoying all the animals' adventures.  
Once when we were checking one or two of these out, our librarian commented that she was glad to see some of Burgess's books in our pile because they are on the "watch list"- meaning if they don't get checked out more they will be pulled from the shelves.  !!!  That would be a sad thing.  These books may not have all the bells and whistles some people think kids need these days but they are good, simple tales that kids enjoy when you put one in their hands.  

Linking Up to Read Aloud Thursdays      

5 comments:

Dorie said...

Burgess's books are favorites here as well! They are such fun to read - a shame if they are taken down from the library shelves.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I've only read one TB story to my children. I "worry" about a lot of the older books, though. :-)

christyk said...

I'll have to check if my library has any of them.

I hate the idea of "watch lists" at the library... I hate that they get rid of older books. It bothers me that my local library has tons of empty shelf-space yet still gets rid of books.

podso said...

You are my go to for books! I hope to have regular reading visits with Little One this year.

Mrs. Darling said...

Yay for saving books! You gave me an idea for a book display, Overlooked Treasures. I'm envisioning pirate props...