Friday, August 24, 2012

A Look Back at Summer

I don't know that I'm quite ready to say good-bye to summer.
I'm glad the days are just a little shorter and cooler but there's a lot to remember from summer 2012:
*the big wind-storm: people around here will be talking about it for years
*Jack helps mow the yard now and does a pretty good job of it
*the London Olympics: Kayla's into gymnastics now and Sammy is standing on his head every time I turn around
*Lucy's hair grew longer and blonder-I do love those shiny yellow locks
*she moved into a big girl bed
*Jack's good friend moved into the neighborhood so now he rides his bike back and forth
*Kayla and Jack got their names in the paper for reading 50 hours in less than a month for the library's summer reading program
*can't forget how Sammy and Lucy race down the driveway on big wheels
*Lucy and Kayla were flower girls in one of my favorite weddings ever
*one of Sammy's most common questions for me:  "Am I making you nervous Mommy?"  while he climbs on anything and everything and flips around.  All boy.
*we drank a lot of sun tea
*I discovered mint water
*the kids have mostly lived on lunches of fruit and yogurt smoothies
*that little thing called a church plant
*fireworks in Williamsburg
*a graduation in Ohio
*a new nephew in May
*all our cousins came to visit
*visits with friends on the back deck
*the kids and Brian's parents spent a night in a hotel with a pool so that...
*we could go to Brian's 20th reunion

What else?  I'm sure I'm forgetting something.  Many things.
Mr. Tovey at church is in his 80s and always tells me what a nice family we have.
Last Sunday, he asked me, "Do you know what a wonderful family you have?"
Of course I said yes, and I am thankful for another summer with them.

2 comments:

melissa said...

Now, are you ready for that DEEP breath? :)

podso said...

Just love that Mr. Tovey comment. :-)