Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Not Getting Smaller

taken around Christmas
Sammy's still in his Buzz Lightyear foot jammies this morning.
"Mom, you know I'm not going to get any smaller, right?"
Believe me, I know.
"So when I grow up I'm still gonna live with you.  I don't want my own house."
I doubt it but OK.
"Because I won't want to let go of you."
I smiled.  Maybe even held back a tear or two.
He's been the one who holds on, in more ways than one, the tightest and the longest, who really likes a lap to sit in or arms to hold him.  He lets go a little more all the time but it makes sense to me, knowing Sammy, that he thinks he'll still want to hold on to me when he's all grown up.
He'll be ready to fly one day.  It will come sooner than I know.
But for now, I'll remember to take his hugs and his "hold me" whenever I can.

3 comments:

Rebecca D. Martin said...

So precious.

Anonymous said...

I remember telling my mom once that I wanted to be homeschooled for college. Now, my ideas on that have definitely changed! But such a sweet post.

podso said...

oh yes.