Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A Flash

I thought I saw it one day.
Just a flash of a bigger boy but then it was gone and I thought to myself, "No, not yet."
But a few days later I saw it again.
And again.
 0501131738
That little boy's barely six-year old face.  Getting a little longer, losing the last of the toddler cheeks.
Looking more like a big boy now.
IMG_7805
One who can read and loves to play ball.
IMG_7808
The same one, though, who still wants to sit in my lap and lean his head on my shoulder for a story.  The one who still wants me to hold him when he gets hurt or when he's mad at his brother.
 IMG_7866
This boy who gets into all kinds of things when I'm not looking!

This business of watching them grow up is a mixed bag- it breaks my heart and fills it up, all at the same time.

2 comments:

podso said...

Well said, friend, and well written. Tugging at my heart strings. I was walking a sidewalk today where our little boys once rode "big wheels" and we took walks and I was missing our little boys. But I did my best to change it to gratitude for those memories. A good focus but it takes just that, good focus.

Amanda said...

Aww. I remember sitting there, Sammy in the high chair and we were wondering if he would ever decide to talk!