Tuesday, November 6, 2012

That Question

I can't tell you how many people ask me what it's like being "a pastor's wife."  I'm never quite sure how to answer that.  To me, I'm Brian's wife.  I stay home, educate our kids, try to keep us out of complete chaos, and sit down with my ice cream at the end of the day.  I enjoy having people over for coffee or lunch and listening to them, sometimes crying with them, praying for them.  I count praying for the church as the best thing I can do for her. 
Our church, both the new one and the old, has always been gracious (at least I assume so) in their expectations of me.  I don't feel any different from anyone else.  We all jump in to fill spots in children's ministry, bake some muffins, care for people, etc... 
Of course, I have a unique perspective on the pastor.  I know the pastor better than anyone else does.  I know what his struggles are, and his joys.  I can tell when he's at his limit and when he's been encouraged.  I pray for him, a lot though not enough.  We should all be praying for our husbands and our pastors.  Mine happen to be one in the same.
This past Sunday, someone asked me if I ever feel nervous about what stories might pop up in the sermon about me.  I said no, but he does have plenty of material in his wife if he chose to use it!  And while I know Brian does not use his sermon to prove a point to me, I have seen over and over how God uses his sermons to challenge and encourage me.
We're so close to the beginning of this life as a pastor's family and I know my perspective might change, but for now, we're good.  Brian loves us well.
And that's enough.

Might I encourage you again?  Pray for your pastor.  I guarantee he needs it.  Ask God's blessing on his prayer life, his study time, his family, his friendships, etc...

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing. You're so right. :)