Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fall Reads for the Kids

We have stumbled upon some really cute books lately.
Sammy and Lucy have loved a couple in particular.
Earl the Squirrel 
We've read several of Don Freeman's books but I'd never heard of this one before last week.  And let me say, I've read it a LOT since then!  Earl is on a quest for acorns in a way that satisfies his mama.  He meets an owl and a bull before he finally gets his acorns.  Love this book.  My kids have laughed so much at this one!  It's a great fall read. 
By the Light of the Harvest Moon 
Harriet Ziefert's By the Light of the Harvest Moon is another treat!  The illustrations are so colorful and inviting.  It's the night of the harvest moon, and while we learn a little about what that means, the exciting part comes when the wind blows in some "leaf people" who have a nighttime party in the woods.  My kids asked for this one over and over and were sad when we had to return it to the library.  We'll probably get it again on our next trip.

Hope you enjoy whatever you're reading!

Linking up to Read Aloud Thursdays 

5 comments:

podso said...

Catching up on your posts ... such a good one on the pastor's wife. You should publish it. (well, I guess you have. ) :-) Thanks for more books!

Mrs. Darling said...

I love Don Freeman, too. I haven't seen the squirrel book before, though.

The Picture Book Review said...

These look like great reads. Thank you for the recommendation!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I think we've read that Don Freeman book, but it has been a long time. I love fall-ish books!

Thanks for linking up to RAT!

Anonymous said...

Don Freeman was one of the authors I used with my 1st graders. I never knew about Earl. I will have to find it for Alex.