Friday, November 30, 2012

Reminding- Because I Need It

I sure don't want to sound preachy.  But sometimes it is good and right to share what's going on in your heart.
We had a joint ladies' Christmas party tonight, old church and new church.  We spent some time sharing what we are thankful for and you don't walk away from that the same as when you got there.  Some of us spoke quietly.
Some laughed.
Some cried.
Some of us broke into spontaneous song.
Any way you look at it, God was and is moving in all of those women.
And I was reminded again that He came as that little baby that we might have LIFE and have it abundantly.
I have found myself feeling overwhelmed and unexcited about Christmas of all things as I focus on all that has to be done, all those things that I feel like are expected or necessary for Christmas to be good.
Then He showed me something better, again, because I need reminding.
He is what is good.  He is the one who meets my deepest needs.  Everything else pales in comparison and does not satisfy.  I do not need to run around trying to create something good.  He has already done it.
I don't think it's a magic formula to make everything rosy.
I know this though.
The only real joy is in Christ and we find it when our hearts are stayed on Him.  That gives me freedom to enjoy Christmas and everything else more fully.
It makes me excited to prepare for the wonder and anticipation of the newborn King.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

what a great reminder! thanks for sharing.

Meg said...

Danielle,
Great thoughts! Helpful to me this day. Would love to chat more with you, though I know time is precious!

Unknown said...

So true. Now I just need to teach this to my children!