I think it's true that the older you get, the clearer some things become.
You hear stories. You meet people.
You begin to realize just how good you have it.
I feel that way more and more about my parents, and today, about my mom.
Let me tell you a few things I remember about growing up at my house:
*Mom planned parties. Not just birthday parties. Valentine parties, Christmas parties. Fun, simple times with our friends.
*She made us pretty cakes when it was our birthday.
*She made holidays special.
*She took us places. I always think in particular of Washington, DC. She would take my brother, cousin, and me in the summers. I know we had fun- I've seen the pictures. And I remember.
*She read us stories. I have one specific memory of sitting on the white couch listening to A Wrinkle in Time.
*She took us to the book store and the library.
*I remember making Christmas ornaments with her. I can see little snowmen and reindeer.
*She took us to see our grandparents often.
*She let us help in the kitchen- no small feat in my mind now.
*She let us play and get dirty. Let us be kids.
*She loved us and encouraged us and was patient. I can appreciate this even more now that I'm a mom!
Later on...
*She had to listen to me crying from homesickness when I went to college. Quite often.
*She made our wedding cake!
*She has helped take care of 7 newborns as they came, four mine, three Jeff's.
*She has loved on her grandkids, had tea parties with them, celebrated with them, created fun memories for them.
This is just the tip.
I have always had a good mama.
She surely doesn't hear it enough but Mom, I appreciate you and I love you.
Happy Mother's Day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment