Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kids' Summer Reading Lists

We're having salads with lettuce from the garden!  It's pretty good, too.
Brian built a fire pit in the backyard so we can roast marshmallows.  The kids can't wait.  Hoping the storms hold off so we can make smores tonight.
The kids and I just got back from the library.  I decided to put together summer reading lists for them.  I like to beg, borrow, and steal.    Mostly from recommended reading lists from a classical school and from the IEW (writing program) people.  For me, it gets harder to choose good, solid literature as they get older (like Jack).  I just don't know as many of these titles.  I hope they both enjoy their books!
Here's some of Kayla's (age 8):
Baby Island by Carol Ryrie Brink
Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat
Stuart Little by E.B. White
The Littles by John Lawrence Peterson
The Littles and Their Amazing New Friend by J.L. Peterson
Five Children and It by E. Nesbit
The Moffats by Eleanor Estes
The Door in the Wall by Marguerite De Angeli

Some of Jack's (age 10) (shorter list, longer books):
Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates

3 comments:

Patricia said...

great book selection for your kiddos =) I loved the wind in the willows. roll of thunder, hear my cry is a trilogy-those were some of my favorite reads when I was younger.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. S'mores tonight sound amazing! I love that you guys have a fire pit:)

podso said...

Loved Stuart Little except for the ending. :-)