Thursday, May 10, 2012

Linking to Read Aloud Thursday

Well, this is my first time "linking up" to anything!  I ran across Read Aloud Thursdays last week and really enjoyed reading different book suggestions.  I love hearing about good books!  
So, the kids and I thought back over the past several months and remembered some of our favorite read alouds- all chapter books this time, all books we have read together in the mornings as we begin our day.



A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle  I remember my mom reading this to me- I think that makes me enjoy a book even more.

Carry On Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham     I chose this one as we have studied US History this year.  We learned a lot as we read it.  The older ones (9 and 7 at the time) especially enjoyed it.

The Railway Children by E. Nesbit  What a great story of family and adventure.  It made me cry.  Another hit.

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by  Kate Douglas Smith Wiggin    Rebecca is an endearing character we could all relate to in one way or another.  We had some good discussions on character and family.

The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs  by Betty Birney.  This book was new to me.  Loved it.  It's funny and heart-warming.  Of course we had to learn more about the real Seven Wonders of the World, too.

Mr. Popper's Penguins  by Richard and Florence Atwater     Another new one to me.  It has made us all laugh.  This one's great for both the older kids and the younger- our five year old asks for more!  A favorite!

3 comments:

Dorie said...

Some of these are favorites in our house as well! Personally, I loved reading Carry On Mr. Bowditch to the children - what an amazing story. And, Mr. Popper's Penguins was a favorite of mine as a child so it was one I HAD to share with my children - thankfully, they enjoy it just as much as I do. Sadly, I have never read A Wrinkle in Time - perhaps it is one I should get at the library next time. I keep seeing such great remarks about this book.

Books4Learning said...

Lots of great classic books. Welcome. I am glad you linked up. I like this weekly meme b/c it is so broad. If you are interested, there are other fun link ups--nonfiction Monday, middle grade Monday, science Sunday, and poetry Friday are a few I try to link up with each week. I am co-hosting Fairy Tale Friday. I hope you will join in some time.

http://www.books4learning.blogspot.com/p/fairy-tale-friday.html

Kirsten @ homeschool discoveries said...

Welcome to Read Aloud Thursday! We recently read Railway Children also (I wrote about it...I think last week?). My daughter loved it but I didn't care for it as much as she did.

"Carry On Mr Bowditch" is one I was thinking of adding to my list for next year when we are doing US History. There are so many great books out there that relate to US History that it is really hard to decide!