"He'd have to come, a day like this," whispered Molly to herself, gazing bemused at the view before her.
And, at that moment, Ben knocked upon the back door."
from Miss Read's Thrush Green
As I read this passage, my own heart leapt with Molly's.
On an evening a little over 12 years ago, I was sitting on the couch staring out the large, old windows of my roommates house. A friend was on the phone and we were speculating why he hadn't called after our first date-which had only been a day or two before. I couldn't stop thinking about him. I was working myself up into a little frenzy. Silly girl that I was.
And then.
If it had been a movie it wouldn't have been more perfect.
There he was.
Taking the front steps two at a time.
My heart skipped a beat.
He smiled and waved through the window.
I hung up and answered the door.
Trying to seem calm.
And you know, I remember that like it was yesterday. I love that memory. And I love that guy.
I think anyone who knows him will tell you he is a stand-up guy.
I sure think so.
Today is his birthday.
Happy Birthday! We love you!


2 comments:
AWWW! How sweet!!!! Hope you guys have a fun day celebrating his b-day!
you had me on the edge of my seat!
Post a Comment