Wednesday, December 1, 2010

One More Distraction

Picture this:
Lucy was down for her morning nap.
Jack, Kayla, Samuel, and I were sitting on the couch reading together.
We heard something that sounded like a chirp.  Not a soft one either.
Was it right outside our window?
Jack slowly gets up, looks at me with wide eyes, and silently walks to the hallway.
Kayla and Sam follow.
Loud whisper, "MOM!  There's a bird.  In there!"
Oh boy.
And before I could get off the couch, that bird came flying into the living room, straight at me.
I screamed.  Not a squeak but a full-blown scream.  Then I ducked and ran.
We were scurrying around like crazy.  We are crazy.  It was a bird for crying out loud.  Just a bird.
"Mom???  What do we do?"
Kayla and Samuel had run upstairs at this point.
I was on the phone to Brian.  I knew what I needed to do but I think I needed to hear a rational voice at the moment.
Lucy is screaming in her bed now.  Poor thing.  What a way to wake up, huh?
Well, we opened up all the doors and I'm guessing the bird flew out the back door.  We never actually saw it leave.  So I've been peeking into rooms and around corners all day.
And all that for a little old bird.

1 comment:

podso said...

Oh my...I would have done the same. Something about wings flapping at me in a confined area ... my mom tells the story of a bat in her house and she had to call my dad home to help. I can just picture the whole scenario--you painted the story well with your words!