Saturday, December 4, 2010

Emmanuel

It's early December and I am excited.  The snow has fallen all day and has been beautiful.  The kids have loved playing outside today.  There is that classic, storybook Christmas feel.
Among all the excitement, though, I am struck by how much need there is in this world.  My prayer list is growing by the minute it seems.
Lots of hurting people.
Depression.
Sickness.
Loneliness.
And as much anticipation as there is with Christmas, I cannot help but think that it is for these that this baby Jesus was born.  He was born into a dark, sinful, weary world.  Here for all those who are weary and heavy-laden.  Not for the healthy, but for the sick.  There could be great cause for despair but instead, I think that it is fitting that we prepare our hearts and even our homes to welcome in a king who came to seek and save the lost.  To bring hope.
Our Emmanuel.
O come, O come Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here,
Until the Son of God appear,
Rejoice!  Rejoice! 
Emmanuel shall come to thee O Israel.

No comments: