Thursday, December 9, 2010

Birthday Eve

A year ago tonight, I was 10 days out from my due date.  My dad was good and ready for his 6th grandbaby to be born and called to  harass me a bit (all in fun!) about getting this thing going.  I said I was right there with him and doing all I could to go ahead and have this baby girl.  I'd let him know when I knew.
Brian and the kids and I loaded up in the van to go do a little shopping.  I was hoping a little more walking would get the show on the road.  On our way, Brian's mom called to let me know she wouldn't be home that night but Grandpa was home and she would leave her phone on all night just in case this baby decided to come.  I sure was hoping we'd need to call!
For several nights I had been waking up somewhere around 3 or 4 a.m. I'd be up for an hour or so then fall back asleep.  This night was no different.  It was around 4:30, I was awake, and I was hungry.  So I got a bowl of Rice Krispies and settled in with a book, An Irish Country Christmas.  After a while, I noticed that first contraction although I wasn't sure that's what it was.  I took notice and kept reading.  In just a few minutes came another.
YES!  This is it.  Or at least I was hoping.  I woke Brian.  He called his dad to let him know we might have something going on.  We got ready, just in case.
I called my mom and dad.  Dad, I think you're getting your wish.
Contractions kept coming.
Grandpa came on over- I didn't ask how fast he drove but it didn't take long!
And we headed for the hospital.
Later that morning, our sweet Lucy was born.
How many December 10ths had I lived through? (well, 36)
And now, that day had such a new and special place in my heart.

1 comment:

podso said...

....Happy Birthday sweet little Lucy! Hard to believe a year has passed. She has brought much joy to you all!