Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Contentment

She stressed each word as she said it.
"Contentment has nothing to do with our circumstances."
This, after several weeks studying the Matriarchs in Sunday school.
And of course, I agreed.  God's call to contentment does not come with a promise of easy circumstances or even a change in them.  Take a look at Hagar (whom my heart went out to...she had it rough) or Rachel(who seemed to have a lot going for her).  In the middle of a hard day, or week, or even year, we can be content in our hearts because of who He is not because of what's going on around us.
So, I was a little surprised last week when we were having good days:  cheerful attitudes from the kids, productive days, parties, etc...  and my heart was not content.  It was grumpy at times, a little downtrodden.  And guess what?  It had nothing to do with my (pretty good) circumstances.  They do not pacify my sin.  I was reminded (after I caught on) that those "good days" that I long for are good things but they are not the recipe for a content heart.  This is:

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound.  In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:11-13

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally agree.

Rebekah said...

Thanks for sharing! This is really encouraging and also a great reminder.