Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Question

Sammy was supposed to be asleep when I went upstairs last night, but he wasn't.  I tucked him in again.
As I was leaving his room, he said, "Mom, why did Jesus have to die?"
I knelt down beside him, wanting to say the right thing.  Knowing the answer we've talked about before and overwhelmed by his question at the same time.
"God knew we couldn't save ourselves.  Jesus was the only one who could because he had never, ever sinned.  He died for our sins so we wouldn't have to."
Sammy was quiet, then he said, "So that little baby never sinned?"
"Never, not once."

My hope for Sammy and the other kids is that they wonder at the baby Jesus but that they also keep looking, to the cross.
There is so much more to Christmas than this world offers.
So much more.

No comments: