Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Peepers

I love having the windows open.
I love seeing the curtains blowing gently in the breeze.
Tonight I was upstairs folding some laundry and listening to the peepers through the open windows.
What a pleasant sound they make.
The funny thing was, all at once, they were silent.
And I have no idea why.
I stopped what I was doing to just listen and in a few minutes, I heard one, then another, then they were all singing again.
Does anyone know why they would all fall silent at the same time?

Listening to them reminded me of being at my grandma's in the summer time.  I don't know if we were listening to peepers or cicadas or what but I always liked listening to them make their songs in the trees after the sun went down.
There was no air conditioning but I remember the evenings always being nice and cool so the windows were open.
It was kind of like a lullaby, sending us off to sleep each night.

1 comment:

podso said...

Love the Lucy photo, she can just see over the window ledge. I've never heard the word peppers before --we would call them crickets maybe? (we, what does that mean? I guess it means us "expats" from up north!)