Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Weather and Books

It is sooo windy outside right now!  Sounds a little scarey.  This morning felt like spring- the air was heavy but cool.  The breeze was nice.  And it just had that spring smell in the air.  Do you know what I mean?

I've had a hard time getting into a good novel lately.  Mostly, there hasn't been a lot of extra time to read for fun.  And it's not easy to come across good books.  Things seem to be leveling out some now so I'm on the prowl for a few good ones.  I love seeing what other people are reading.  Actually, I picked up a novel yesterday called Family Happiness that I saw on one of your blogs- thanks!

I did just finish a good book called Queen of Palmyra.  I put it on hold back in July and just got it!  I think it can be hard to recommend books- you never know what someone else will think.  I'm always afraid of offending someone.  There is a little language in this one and the subject is not light.  It's set in Mississippi in the 60s.  Racial tension is thick and my heart broke for several of the characters.  But, the author draws you in and leaves you thinking about the characters long after you're done.  To me, that makes a good story.
 

1 comment:

melissa said...

Ah, a Laurie Colwin. That was a good one. I'm such a book junkie, found another new book to read just now online at another blog and am antsy to go pick it up! I keep saying to myself, "Hope nobody sees it. Hope nobody sees it!"

See if you can find any Molly Hardwick mysteries starring the main character called Doran Fairweather. They're very cozy. :)