Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Stumbling

Brian's teaching a Sunday school class on Philippians this fall.  This week we were into chapter 3, verses 12-14 in particular.
"Not that I have already attained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own.  But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus..."

You know how it is when you've heard verses over and over but one day, they hit you in a different way?  Maybe because I've struggled with my own heart on this lately, on keeping my eyes focused.  I just didn't realize that was part of the problem.
One lady made a comment that went something like this:  "I've heard that the easiest way to lose a race is to look back at all the people around you."  In other words, taking your eyes off of the goal is a sure way not to get there.  I do that all the time.  Comparing myself to other moms, wondering what someone else thinks of me,  trying to figure out what another person would do in my situation, etc...  And my eyes are no longer on the prize, the Lord Himself.  I have allowed my joy to be snatched away and discouragement to take its place.  I've made other people the gauge for how I'm doing instead of God's word.  I've cared more about my own comfort, ease, and self than I have about what God thinks.  And I've stumbled.
But praise be to the Lord that He does not leave me there.  And that no matter what, I cannot lose Him.  He has secured the goal, the prize, in Christ.  He is the prize! 


It has been a few hours since I wrote that bit.  It's now mid-afternoon.  So far, we've had a good day.  We went for the nicest walk after lunch.  The breeze was perfect.  Sam and I spotted a wooly-worm crossing the road.  We stopped to watch it.  
Samuel asked "Where is that baby woowy-woom going?" 
"I'm not sure.  Do you think it's a baby?"
"Yah- he's looking for his mommy and daddy."
We watched that worm for a while.  Even had to turn around and go back to find him once.  


It's been a busy day and the house sure shows it.  I'm not sure where to start!  But- I'm going to try and keep my eyes on the prize and let the rest fall where it may.  
First things first. 

1 comment:

podso said...

Very good thoughts to "chew on"---thanks!