Kayla has a habit. Every night after I tuck her in bed, she begins asking me what we are going to do tomorrow and the day after that, and the next day, and the day after that. And so it goes until I finally say I just don't know. Last night she began again.
"Mommy, what are we going to do tomorrow?"
"I don't know."
"Well Mommy, if you don't figure out something to do, we'll end up doing nothing."
How true is that? Indecision really is a decision, isn't it?
Moving on to this morning, I saw a few snowflakes and mentioned that "they" are calling for a few flurries today.
Jack said, "Mom, you never know when a few snowflakes will turn into a blizzard."
That's true on many levels, huh?
I'll tell you, one thing I have learned through these snow showers we have around here has come from the kids' responses to them. I don't think we've gotten more than maybe an inch of snow at a time. But everytime, Jack in particular calls out at some point that it's a blizzard! And I love that to him, it is. And it will always be wonderful until the day comes when we get a decent snow, even just a few inches. Then the dustings may not be so great anymore. It will take more and more to impress him.
Children could be satisfied (and happier) with less but we give them more and more under the guise of generosity or other noble ideas. Often all we really do is make it harder and harder for them to appreciate the little things.
Lessons for me to ponder today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Danielle,
I LOVE being able to eavesdrop on your "ponderings". It sounds like you are doing well, friend! We will talk soon! Laura
Post a Comment