Some new friends from church invited us and another couple over for dinner New Year's Day. We hoped to also watch the Orange Bowl but it was a little too late for our kiddos. Go Tech!!!
Anyway, through a conversation I won't go into, it came about that I read the obituaries every morning. Now, to me, this does not seem particularly strange. But our friends thought that sounded crazy. An "old person" thing to do, they said. Hmmm.
I have a morning routine. Always have. It changes a little every now and then. At this point in life, it is a little earlier than it used to be. Around 6 a.m. I make myself a cup of coffee with yummy creamer in it, a waffle or bowl of dry cereal for Samuel, some juice for him, and head upstairs to the recliner. He sits on my lap and enjoys his pre-breakfast snack while I read the paper online. The Harrisonburg paper, the Daily News Record. And the first thing I check is the obituaries. I'd like to know if a former neighbor or family member of a friend passed away. I usually read or at least skim each one. Seems to me that the least I can do is respect a person in death by pausing over their name. My mom reads obituaries, too. Maybe that's where I get it.
Could be that she gets it from her mom, who listens to the funeral announcements on their local radio station each morning. I assume she still does. They play organ music, read an obituary, then play more music. (This is where the earlier mentioned conversation began). I never thought about it but I guess it's in the family. :)
This morning routine really is nice time with Samuel. By the time I'm done reading, he's ready to read some books. Usually "Melmo." (Elmo).
Before I go, another Kayla quote. On our way home last night we were talking about parades. She declared, "If I'm watching a parade and there is no mention of the Lord, then I am turning that thing off!"
She's a funny bird.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment