Thursday, January 15, 2009

Some Jack Stories


It is snowing a little this morning. As I walked down the steps in the dark, I noticed the parking lot is sparkling. This looks like the kind that makes little girls think pixie dust!
Not looking forward to being out in this cold. Planning on hibernating as much as possible!
So we went to a local bookstore yesterday- kind of our trip out before the cold weather hits. We had a little Christmas money so one of the books I bought for the kids was "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." There are a few books I remember with such fondness because my second grade teacher read them to us. She has always been my favorite. And since Jack enjoys reading so much, I want to give him good books to sink his imagination into.

I guess he started it around 5:30 or so. Getting him to come down for dinner was not easy, getting him to put the book down so he could eat was harder. He took a bath and was back at the book. Somewhere around 9:30 he came down with a huge smile and said, "Guess what mom. I finished it." I love it when some part of a story strikes him as funny and he comes down to share, giggling as he relays it to us.

Sometimes I wonder about his attention to detail in his reading. Some friends gave us a book about missionaries in Persia. He had been reading on it but Brian wanted to read it with him, too. So they were sitting in Brian's office one night. Brian was reading some of what Jack has already read and Jack stopped him, saying, "Dad, there was a period after "go."

I think he must be picking up various phrases from books, too. One that comes to mind is "my heart was in my throat." Not because he said that but because while we talking about how generous someone had been with us (thanks Crystal!) he said, "Mom, when you said that, my lungs jumped up to my brain!"

I guess my last little anecdote on him is from the other night. I'm reading "The House at Pooh Corner" to Kayla. I love to watch her smiles and hear her giggles at Pooh's adventures with his friends. Sometimes Jack listens in. As we were getting into one particularly funny chapter, he laughed and said, "Mommy, this chapter is so funny it's going to be worth two chapters!"

2 comments:

podso said...

OH!!! What joy you share! And he's reading in a recliner, no less!

The Wild, Wild Westerners said...

What a cool thing to have as a family--a love of books! I'm amazed at what a great reader Jack is. He must have a wonderful teacher! :)