Thursday, February 19, 2015

Grandma Pearl

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."  Psalm 116:15
My Grandma Pearl passed to glory this morning.  If ever there was a woman rejoicing in finally meeting her Savior I know it is my Grandma.  All my life I have known her as a lover of Jesus, a pray-er.  I remember not always liking it when she wanted to "have prayer" before we left but we did it anyway. 
It's an awesome thing to know you've been prayed for.  Over and over.
I'm sure she prayed over our family.  I've seen our names written down in her prayer lists.
She loved her gospel music and listening to her preachers on the radio.  She liked ice cream in a mug and introduced me to Snickers ice cream bars.  She used to be something of a "hummingbird whisperer."

I find grief to be a strange thing.  Like walking out into that icy cold wind, you feel it.  It's almost as if you can touch it.  The thing I have missed the most about my Grandma over her past few years of growing tired and quiet is her laugh.  Both of my grandmas have great laughs.
Hers- I can't really describe it but I hear it in my heart.  The thing is, I don't know that I have grieved its loss so much though I haven't really heard it in years.   I feel the sadness.  But now? 
Oh my- I know that laugh rings true in heaven. Today.  It's real.

Last night in our family worship we sang "O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing" and I told these kids that Grandma was quiet and even lame in some sense.  But that when she got to heaven her tongue would be loosed and she would leap for joy.  Today she does.

"Hear him ye deaf; his praise ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior comes;
And leap ye lame, for joy."

What a beautiful gospel we have that allows us to be brokenhearted and joyful at the same time.



2 comments:

Amanda said...

So special.

podso said...

I wonder if your kids will think of your grandma now when they sing that verse of that hymn. I'm sorry for your loss, and I like how you express brokenhearted and joyful at the same time.