Saturday, February 7, 2015

El Deafo


The most recent Mother-Daughter book club selection was El Deafo by Cece Bell.  Kayla's first reaction was, "Mom, I don't really like graphic novels."  But.  She started it the night we brought it home and finished it the next day. Loved it.  Then Jack read it.  Then Kayla read it again.  Back and forth.  I enjoyed it very much myself.
Cece is telling her own story in this novel.  She became sick with meningitis at age four and lost her hearing.  I love how she uses pictures and speech bubbles to convey how the world seemed to her.  Kids seem to relate to her, down to the humor she includes (which I didn't always love but it was realistic to the age).

Cece Bell was delightful.  She talked a lot about her childhood, both asking and answering questions.  She even brought her original phonic ear and explained more about how the name "El Deafo" came about.

A local bakery decorated sugar cookies to go along with the book.  Cece portrayed herself and all the characters as rabbits in the book.  There are also a couple of cookies with her phonic ear.

Oh and by the way, her book just won the Newberry Honor!

2 comments:

podso said...

Wow the girls will remember this one! Having the author there is so cool.

Amanda said...

Yet another to add to my list!