Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sweet Voice

I think it was last week that it dawned on me.
He doesn't ask me to pick him up in church anymore.  You know, when we're singing?  It's been a while and I hadn't thought about it.
Really, Sam is almost 7 and he's getting heavy so it's time.  And it's ok- mostly.
But I have one more.
Lucy.
She puts her arms up when we stand to sing.  I am happy to hold her.  I know these days are fleeting.
And what a sweet moment it is when I hear her soft voice in my ear.
She doesn't know all the words but sometimes, like today, she begins to sing.  At first she tries to sing along, a word here, a word there.  Then she catches the refrain and sounds more sure, still quiet but joining the chorus nonetheless. 
It's a precious moment for me.
And I think it's a gift.
This has been one of those week's where I feel like everything I do is wrong.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.  But it's enough to make it hard to remember what's important.  Is it all the misspelled spelling words?  The wrong math answers?  Or is it living and breathing the gospel in our home?
Sure, we have to do our math and spelling and it would be good to get it right, at least most of the time.
But in the end, I don't want to be distracted from what it good and true and lovely.
I want these difficulties, no matter how small, to point us all to Jesus, that he might nourish us in our need.
And that little voice singing in my ear this morning?
A timely reminder of a lot of things, especially to enjoy the things that matter.
Thankful.

1 comment:

podso said...

Sigh, I just love your writing and your thoughts. And the post below about your grandparents, etc. It's always a joy to come here.