Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Afternoon

*It's starting to rain again- just in time for quiet time at our house.  I thought I might pull my hair out if the kids couldn't get out for a while today without getting soaked- which some of them did yesterday.  That was fine by me but a dry day is a little less work!
*There's a summer virus in the house- fever/headache/sore throat. Between that and allergies, we'd all like a little break.
*I'm starting to wonder if I'm a library nerd.  Possible, but I don't mind.  I signed up for the adult summer reading program like a good mom does when her son is volunteering with the summer reading program.  For every book you read, you get entered into the week's drawing.  Guess who won this week?  Don't know the prize yet.  This is not the first prize I've won at our library, either.
*Kayla and I went to the Goodwill Bookstore yesterday.  Jackpot!  That store is really a great place to shop for books.
*Here's another good recipe for you.  Lucy especially likes oatmeal- plain old oatmeal with some raisins on top.  Which is great except that raisins are sticky and get stuck in teeth.  So we tried this and liked it, some of us more than others.  (which is usually the case)  I adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com.
IMG_8060
Baked Oatmeal

1/2 cup veg. oil  (I used 1/4 c oil and 1/4 cup applesauce)
3/4 cup white sugar (I cut the sugar to about 1/4 cup)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1T baking powder
3 cups rolled oats
Blueberries or other fruit

Beat the oil/applesauce/sugar.  Mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a lightly greased pie pan.  Refrigerate overnight.  The next morning preheat the oven to 350.  Bake for around 35 minutes or until the edges are brown.

3 comments:

podso said...

Wow you win stuff at the library .... that is something, and Jack being old enough to volunteer there? Where do the years go. Sorry you all have been sick, and the rain has been intense here this week as well --- not sure it's really over but the sun is shining right now. Hope you have a good weekend!

Amanda said...

I keep wanting to try baked oatmeal but I tried a healthy baked oatmeal on time and it was kinda wet and rubbery at the same time, and I haven't had the courage to go back. Some when you say some of us more than others..." - Do YOU like it?

melissa said...

Hi sweets. They've done the library thing here too, but I've yet to get involved. Maybe here few people participate and I'd get a chance to win. Here's hoping!

And also hope the weekend is restful and everyone's feeling better. Sickness during warm weather always seems strange to me.

Love to you. :)