I found these books on a chair the other day. Kayla's stash for the day. We've been reading Ginger Pye together but sometimes she peeks ahead. I don't remember reading any of Eleanor Estes's books when I was a kid but I really enjoy them now.
We're studying American history in CC this year. The historical fiction available is great. Such a good way to enrich their learning. So, Kayla is reading Sarah Plain and Tall in addition to some of the "My America" books. Jack is reading through Johnny Tremain and enjoying it. It was a little after 8:00 when he came down this morning and I mentioned him being a sleepyhead. He smiled and shook his head. "Mom, I've been reading Johnny Tremain for the last hour." Huh. Little did I know. But I'm so glad.
We're also reading Carry on Mr. Bowditch together in the mornings. Even Sammy enjoys this one. I think the sheer amount of reading the kids can do, either on their own or with me, is just about my favorite thing about homeschooling. Not that kids in school can't read a lot, too, but the time I can give them for reading is priceless.
Sam's favorite right now is not historical but is a classic. Make Way for Ducklings. We've read that one a lot lately.
Love it.
p.s. I just finished Russian Winter. My reading time has diminished considerably since we started school so it took me a long time to finish but...it's a good one.
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
The time to read was definitely my favorite thing about homeschooling also. Someday Kayla will have to watch the Sarah plain and tall movies.
Though, really, who needs a movie when reading a book brings plenty of mental visuals of the story.
I'm so glad for your book recommendations :o) I actually look back at some of your old posts before we go to the library each week - for me and for the kids! Thanks, friend :o)
Post a Comment