Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thankful

It is one of those evenings that doesn't seem to come very often.
Maybe it does, and I miss it.
But I want to remember it.
The heat of the day has subsided and it is quiet.
The breeze is warm and calming, like a soothing stream of water.
The clouds are dark and there is lightening in the distance.
I watch for deer.  There are none tonight.
The scent of the petunias drifts by.
Fireflies twinkle like Christmas lights and entertain my eyes.
Not that I need entertaining now.  I can barely see the swings, the baby pool by the garden but I rewind the day, remembering Sammy going oh so high on the swing, by himself now.
Lucy splashing the water while Kayla and Jack chase each other down the slide, through the grass.  I edit out the squabbles.  It was much hotter then, a much busier place.
Now it is still.
And I am thankful for the day, for this.

2 comments:

melissa said...

You're such a sweetheart. Stay the way you are, appreciating the little things. It all matters, doesn't it? :)

podso said...

Contentment. You write so beautifully I can feel what you are feeling!