Last night's dinner was so good: grilled chicken, roasted vegetables (some from a friend's garden), and fresh corn on the cob.
The corn on the cob got me thinking.
When Jeff and I were little, we always spent a week or so with our grandparents in the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia.
My Grandma Lucy had several brothers and sisters that lived within walking distance and often they would gather on Papa and Grandma's carport after supper (which was pretty early-4:30ish).
It would be warm out and it smelled of fresh mountain air.
What I remember is a circle of chairs full of sisters, maybe daughters.
Working together.
Snapping green beans.
Shucking corn.
Chatting about their "stories" (soaps), people, their past.
Sometimes we would take a break from swinging or playing to join them.
Jeff, Crystal, Nicole, me.
Listening, sneaking bites of corn that had been cut off to be frozen for the winter.
Maybe helping, too.
There is a part of me that wishes for that back so that I could be part of their conversations now, not as a child but as a mom, a wife.
The best thing about those memories is that we weren't doing anything other than living life with them. No bells and whistles.
Just life. And it was good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Some of this I am experiencing as I read old letters between my parents, and between them and their parents and sibblings ... discovering things I never knew, making sense of things I thought I knew, and, well, experiencing life with them from an adult perspective. (Except you are always a kid re. your parents).
love this picture that you painted!
I miss those days too Danielle - life was good with everyone together, like you say, "just living life". I miss all of them and those times sitting around in a circle chatting and stringing beans (and spending the summer with you!!). I'd love to go back in time and re-live one of those days :)
Post a Comment