Thursday, October 24, 2013

Linking Up to Read Aloud Thursdays

Product Details
The Mother/Daughter book club that Kayla and I are a part of read Masterpiece by Elise Broach as this month's selection.
This has been one that all the kids have listened in on and have really enjoyed.  I love to find a good chapter book that appeals across ages.
Meet Marvin- a beetle.  Marvin lives in James's family's apartment and is pretty tenacious and skillful as beetles go!  A sweet friendship forms between James and Marvin which ends up in a wild adventure.  Art, theft, and the Met in New York City.  Fun! 
Overall, I have liked this book.  There's been a good bit of suspense and some pretty humorous parts.  Some good vocabulary, too!  Also, we learn a bit about the artist Durer.
Depending on your family, you may want to consider a few things that pop up in the story:  divorce and remarriage, some lying, and a couple instances of "Oh my God!" (One good thing about read alouds is skipping words I'd rather not have my children repeat!)  While they aren't deal breakers for us in this book, it's good to be aware. 

1 comment:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I've never heard of this title. It does sound good. And I agree about being able to expurgate read-alouds of what we find offensive. ;-)