Friday, October 18, 2013

Black Bean Sweet Potato Chicken Chili

Last night Brian made some bread in the bread machine to go with our vegetable beef soup.
It was so good that we're making some more this morning.
 I do feel like I am cheating by using a bread machine.
However.
Throwing ingredients together in the morning and smelling it bake while we work on school is a really nice treat.
So, I'm ok with cheating in this case!
And in case you are looking for a new chili recipe for the chilly weekend coming up, I have just the thing.  Not sure how I stumbled on this one but it's a little different and really good.  I found the recipe here.
photo(20)
Black Bean Sweet Potato Chicken Chili

coarse salt and fresh black pepper
1 pound boneless chicken breasts or 2 heaping cups rotisserie chicken cut in bite-sized pieces
 
olive oil, for sauteing
1 small onion, diced
1 small bell pepper, cut into small, thin strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
2 cans (14 ounces) diced tomatoes with the juices
1 can black beans, rinsed
 
1 cup corn
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
for serving:
shredded sharp cheddar or montery jack cheese
sour cream
tortilla chips


Instructions
  1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a Dutch oven or large soup pot set over medium heat and cook the chicken breasts on each side until cooked through in the center. Remove to a cutting board and cool.
  2. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the pot over medium heat and cook the onion and pepper (season with salt and pepper) until tender about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant.
  3. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black beans and corn. Season with the chile powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, about 1 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
  4. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook about 35 minutes, stirring every so often and adding more seasoning as needed until sweet potatoes are tender.
  5. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and/or tortilla chips.

No comments: