Thursday, April 25, 2013

Linking to Read Aloud Thursdays

We have been into some really good books lately!  Both stem from a mother/daughter book club that Kayla and I are a part of through our library.  We've enjoyed it so much and have especially enjoyed the books!


A couple of months ago, we read Deborah Wile's Love, Ruby Lavender.  Kayla really enjoyed it so we picked up The Aurora County All-Stars by the same author to read aloud in the mornings.  Both books (plus a third) take place in the same fictional county, and some characters overlap.  Watching a highly anticipated little league game cross with a town pageant proves to be pretty entertaining. While this may not be a challenging read in some ways, it has brought lots of laughter along with a little Walt Whitman thrown in.  It has also provided good opportunities to talk about some life lessons like friendship, loss, and sacrifice.  So glad we found it!

At tonight's book club we will discuss Eleanor Estes' The Hundred Dresses.  We've read this one before but it is definitely worth rereading.  As Kayla and I have read this story of a poor girl who is made fun of by classmates, we've again had lots of opportunity to talk about what it looks like to love others, stand up for what's right, and to put yourself in someone else's shoes.  
Such a good story.

Linking up to Read Aloud Thursdays            


4 comments:

butterflylinda said...

So awesome that you are enjoying books together. Just reading your posts puts a huge smile on my face always.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I read Love, Ruby Lavender ages ago and enjoyed it. In fact, I was just looking at it at the library this week and wondering if my eldest would enjoy it. I wasn't aware that the author had written more about those characters.

100 Dresses--tearjerker!

Amanda said...

Hundred Dresses is on my hypothetical kid book list. I'm glad to know you like it. Julian was always a fan of the Frog and Toad books and I was looking at some by the same author. Despite having good reviews, some of the books were off color a bit, to my surprise, and I think it is interesting what some other people with different values consider a good book.

podso said...

Do you have a kids' book club? What age is 100 dresses?