Friday, March 29, 2013

Friday Evening

I just stood out on our semi-snowy deck to hear the spring peepers.  It seems like they'll be gone before it's warm enough to open the windows or sit outside to listen to them.  I hate to miss them, though- they're one of my favorite things about spring.

CC ended yesterday.  Can you hear my happy dance???  It will be nice to dig into other things now that we won't be spending as much time on our memory work.

We took today off from school.  Spent a little extra time reading in "The Child's Story Bible" about Jesus' last hours and crucifixion. Got some cleaning done, made a menu for Easter dinner, went to the library, and grocery shopped. The kids got outside to play- it wasn't blowing snow!  All in all I think it's been a pretty good day.

We've read some pretty good books lately.  Here's a run-down:

Inside Out and Back Again  by Thanhha Lai  I've already mentioned this one but it's worth repeating.  One of my favorites so far out of the books we've read for a mother/daughter book club at the library.  The author wrote it based on her own experience as a refugee from Vietnam.
Granny Torrelli Makes Soup by Sharon Creech  Another book club selection.  This is a great story of friendship. 
The Big Wave by Pearl Buck  This is the story of a family who watches their town be swept away by a tsunami.  Another good message of friendship and family. 

What I'm reading:
The Memory of Old Jack by Wendell Berry   Not my favorite of his but still good.
In Defense of Food  and Food Rules by Michael Pollan  I'm considering small changes we can make over time to our overall diet.  I'd love to eat less and less out of a box- so many chemicals!  I don't think I'll ever give up cereal (Cheerios) or ice cream but there are plenty of ways we could eat healthier.  We'll see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm excited about your Michael Pollan book choices! And no, no one is asking you to give up ice cream. Ever. Just maybe look for some without food dyes :)