Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Better to Walk

I carry around this small, pink Moleskine notebook in my purse.  It's for jotting down phrases or ideas that catch me in Sunday school, church, etc...
I pulled it out in one of the sessions last week and Jessie said, "You're taking notes in that little thing?"  I laughed.  Maybe she knew how much I needed to listen and write!
I did take notes in it and have been trying to put them all together in my mind over the past few days.  I'd really like to be able to articulate some of what I learned beyond catch phrases that won't mean much to someone else.  I know those are some of the things God had for me, but not only for me.  I am truly hoping that as he works these truths into my heart, He will help me speak them into someone else's.
Why?  Because I know I am not the only one who:
is anxious
compares myself to others
is afraid of how I appear to others
looks down on others
is devastated by my failures.

I'm not the only one who struggles to believe that "there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus.  If God is for us, who can ever be against us?"  Romans 8:1
I am not the only one who forgets, or doesn't want to remember, that my identity in Christ is secure, done, finished.  As we heard many times last week, the verdict is in on the one who believes: 
Forgiven. 
No double jeopardy.
No matter what sins, struggles, failures, disappointments come.
The cross was complete.
And there is freedom.

We studied these verses one afternoon.  I love them because they remind me that often, my "torment" (anxiety, worry, frustration, anger, etc...) is of my very own doing, a result of kindling my own fires instead of being willing to walk in the darkness and rely on my God.   Is it not better to walk, even when I can not see?

"Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the voice of his servant?  Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God.  Behold, all you who kindle a fire, who equip yourselves with burning torches!  Walk by the light of your fire, and by the torches that you have kindled!  This you have from my hand: you shall lie down in torment."   Isaiah 50: 10,11


1 comment:

podso said...

That is a good review. Amazing how we all suffer with the same struggles. Anxious thoughts has to be near the top of the list. We are frail!