Monday, September 3, 2012

A Legacy

That's my Grandma Pearl and Uncle Dennis on that cake.  We celebrated their birthdays last weekend.
I was struck hard by something as we were leaving that afternoon.
As I said good-bye and take care to my cousins and their children and everyone else, I saw before me the fruit of a grandma's prayers.
If you know one thing about Grandma, it's that she loves the Lord and she prays.  A lot.
I do not know the hours she has spent on her knees over her life.  My guess is that it's way too many to count.  I know she kept prayer journals and I am sure our names are written in them over and over.  She did not let you leave from a visit without circling up and "having prayer."
Now let me admit sometimes I liked this and sometimes I did not.  But that didn't matter because if Grandma wanted to pray that's what we did.
And I am humbled at what the prayers of just one woman have done for the kingdom.  I know it's the Lord who does the work but I also know He calls us to pray and He answers our prayers.
The fruit?  A family:  two sons and daughters-in-law, four grandchildren and their spouses, and eleven great-grandchildren who are seeking the Lord.
I don't doubt for a second that the times our names have passed from her lips have been used to grow us all in our faith.

 Daddy and Uncle Dennis with some of the grandkids.
 Yep.  The sign on Uncle Dennis' porch.


No comments: