I have a pretty strong tendency to get overwhelmed by this whole homeschooling business. That got the best of me today. It came out of no where and I found myself thinking that this was the bigest mistake ever. I could write a book about my insecurities with this but instead, I will share a couple of things that encouraged me and helped me decide not to throw in the towel (not that I would have done that but...)
Jack and I were taking a little extra math practice at the same time Sammy wanted to work on his new school book. I told him I would help him soon but you know, Kayla quietly walked over to him and said "Why don't I help you Sam?" So she helped him make a "k" and he was so proud. So was I.
I printed out a little science test for Jack- just to see how we were doing in this area. I confess it is a weak one for me. I thought it would show me everything he hasn't learned but he was answering every question. I asked him rhetorically "How do you know this stuff?"
He came back with, "Well, Mom. I read a lot, you know, and I learn stuff in books."
I thanked God for that.
By the way, I'm not advocating not directing your kids in their learning or "unschooling" but teach a kid to read well and man, they can learn a lot.
I guess the last thing is just what we've enjoyed this week. It's National Poetry Month so we've been reading lots of poetry. Jack and Kayla pick a few favorites and share them with us all at meal times. That's been lots of fun. Look for some poems later this month!
We've also been reading A Wrinkle in Time together in the mornings. None of us can wait for the next chapter. I remember my mom reading this to me in the third grade. Sweet memory.
So, all that to say, we will get up and do this all again tomorrow, believing His mercies are new every morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I love these! Especially the first story-so priceless!
Even after graduation half of our kids (4 of 'em), I still feel insecure at times, unmotivated and plain burned out. Sounds like you're doing just fine. :)
This sounds very familiar and I miss those days, hard as they were! You noted two "side effects" of homeschooling---children teaching younger siblings and the benefits of all that time to read (both Jack doing his own reading, and you all anxious to get to the next chapter of Wrinkle in Time.)
Post a Comment