For some reason, I remember the officer standing in front of his car. Lights flashing. I don't remember if he saluted or removed his hat. But he stopped traffic so that we might pass by.
Family.
Friends.
I remember feeling like the world should just stop. Even for a few moments.
Because our hurt was so great. Our grief so real.
Papa had passed away.
Two years ago today.
I guess in a way, that officer helped at least the busyness of the road to a stop for a while.
There are other things I remember.
The food. There was so much! I don't know if it is tradition everywhere or not but as the news spread, the food came. I think Papa would have gotten a kick out of it all.
People stopped by.
Flowers were delivered.
There were the men in uniform.
The flag.
I remember our tears.
Still, I have tears sometimes when I think about my Papa. He was so special I could not do him justice here. Those of us who were blessed to know him-- we know.
I find myself thankful for the tears, though. Because it means I had a Papa to love and remember.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
wonderful memories so beautifully expressed. You had a gift in your papa.
Beautiful post Danielle! I thought about Papa all day yesterday. He was a GREAT man and it gives me peace that we will see him again :)
Post a Comment