Saturday, August 7, 2010

Stories and Groundhogs

I have noticed that I'm beginning to think in blogging language.  Meaning, I am starting to think in stories.  Not always, but often.  Sometimes I notice patterns from authors I read a lot of.   Interesting how what you read can shape your thoughts.  A good reminder to be careful what you read!
Anyway, our family has found "the groundhog way."  There's one path leading home that takes us by a field where, if it's the right time of day, we'll spy groundhogs.  Lots of them.  Sometimes upwards of 20.  The van slows down.  Little voices begin to fill the van.
"I see one!"
"No!  Three!"
"Four!"
"Where???"
"By the hay bales!"
And then Daddy whistles.
 Did you know that if a groundhog hears a whistle, it just might pop it's little head up and look around?  It's true.  I didn't know that before a couple of weeks ago.  As funny as I think it is to be driving along at about 5 miles an hour whistling for groundhogs, I really love that Brian has that little known fact tucked away with who knows how many others.  Love it.

No comments: