Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Hijacked by a Fledgling

The best laid plans...
At some point around 11 this morning the kids found a little robin fledgling out in the road.  He seemed pretty strong, hopping all over the place but for Jack, who has a soft spot for animals, this was a little worrisome.  He was afraid the bird would get run over or eaten by a cat.
photo(95) 
We brought him into the yard and out of harm's way.  Got online and googled what to do for young birds like this one.
photo(93)
Since we can't find the nest, we've put him in a little bucket and made a "nest" for him. This little guy is fast- heads straight for the road.   The bird is in the shade and away from us so that hopefully his mom will find him.  (which she just did since I wrote this up!)
photo(94)
In the meantime, the boys have fed the little guy worms.  It's funny to watch.  When he's hungry, his little mouth is open wide.  After a few bites of worm, mouth is closed and he's hopping about.
I'm thinking (hoping) he will fly away in the next day or two.

So.  Our "normal" school day has been hijacked by a fledgling.
But I know, I know.  
Teachable moment, right?

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Very, educational! The bird is adorable! Glad you caught some good shots!

podso said...

Thought this might make a post! So … did the mom come to collect her baby? I hope so. Maybe it's the nest they abandon if a human has touched it.