When I was a kid, I struggled with asthma. Mostly in fall and winter. We spent a good bit of time in the ER with an occasional overnight stay in the hospital. I remember that feeling of trying really hard to get a good breath. I remember the sound of the wheezing. I remember my mom driving me to the hospital on nearly empty roads in the middle of the night. I even remember her driving me from house to house on Halloween so that I could trick-or-treat even when the doctor said I needed to be inside.
Now that I'm older, November/December are getting to be minorly tricky for me again when it comes to asthma- nothing like it was when I was little but enough to remind me.
And now that I'm a mom, I wonder what it was like for my mom. I know the mental ping-pong that goes on in my own head when my kids are sick:
Do they need some medicine?
Should I call the doctor?
Is this going to get worse?
Should I let them outside?
The thing that sticks out most about my mom during those asthma moments is that she always seemed calm. If she was rattled, she didn't let it show. I just kind of knew that she (or you, too, Dad) would take care of things.
I realize 30-some years later that keeping calm when your kids are struggling is no easy feat. And so I really want to say
"Thank You"
from one mom to another
for keeping it together, at least on the outside, and doing what you had to do.
What a wonderful example for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
So maybe it's not true that one "grows out of" asthma. Probably especially not in this area of the country. I'm also a recovered asthma mom. Not sure I was always so calm. A nice post and I'm sure your mom is blessed.
Post a Comment