That's how it was with the first Sarah Stewart book we read. I think it was The Gardener. She has such a way of making you connect with the character and their situation in just a few pages and with stories that rhyme. These are definitely books we have pulled off the library shelves more than once. She and the illustrator are husband and wife- I love that little fact. The pictures are lovely in all of the books. Several of them have a certain teddy bear throughout- don't forget to look for it. Here are a few:
A little girl goes to live with her uncle until things on her family's farm look up. She comes up with a plan to make her uncle smile again. Does the title give you a clue how she does it? This one might bring a tear to your eye.
Another gem. This young girl loves books more than anything and as she grows up, nothing changes. A great story to celebrate reading and the library.
This one is my favorite. Something made me think it might be autobiographical.
It is a sweet story of finding joy in the every day things.
Even more, it's a story of friendship that I almost guarantee will bring a tear to your eye.
Linking up to Read Aloud Thursdays!





4 comments:
Oh, I love Sarah Stewart's books, but I've never seen that third one. I must look for it!
Thanks for linking up to RAT!
I love Sarah Stewart (and her husband)! I can’t remember where but I did read somewhere that The Friend was autobiographical. It was either on their website or somewhere else on the Internet (so it must be true).
I agree as well...love her books, esp. the illustrations. :)
Bonnie gave me "The Gardener" for obvious reasons. Isn't the little girl named Lydia Grace? So Pat got a book too as that is her "pen name" for blog commenting and I refer tp her on my blog as Lydia Grace (and my baby doll is also using that name.) Today I got to read the books to Little B that you recommended. It's obvious she loves them. She smiles through the whole bath book with a knowing smile and I can tell she loves Miss R. She wanted to know why she changed her name to Miss R. from her first name. And I read it all without my glasses ... pretty challenging..hope i got the story right! We were in a tent when we read it. :-) fun times
Post a Comment