Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Some Freedom


School is back in session- at least somewhat.  I was going to wait until next week but was feeling the need for a lot more structure than summer was giving us.  Brian and Kayla mounted a dry erase board (actually shower wall material) on the wall and I love it.  Kayla's been playing school and teaching Sammy more letters and whatever else he will cooperate for.  She's dying to learn cursive so she's practicing all she can.
I think Sam has heard the older kids spell words in order to get something often enough that he's decided he'll give it a try sometimes.
Like, "Mom, B-W-O-I-X."
Blank look from me.  Then, "Can you help me with that?"
He spells again with a smile on his face then points to what he wants.
It makes me laugh every time.

Lucy is just over a year and a half and is talking so much she seems older than that to me.
This morning as I was making pancakes I heard, loudly:
"Me pancakes is ready, Mom?!?!"
Coming right up, little one!

I had a thought yesterday that I really want to hold on to.  I spend a lot of energy worrying about how we spend our time, are the kids learning all they should, what would they be doing in school, blah blah blah...All the what-ifs.  Worrying robs me of my joy, among other things, and I realized that I should enjoy this freedom that I/we have to homeschool my children on our time, our schedule, as we see fit.  Is anyone really going to come knocking on my door and quiz my kids??  Probably not.  Am I just letting them sit around and learn nothing.  Of course not.  More importantly, we've been given freedom, at a great cost, not based on any person here but on the work of Christ.
SO, hopefully I can spend more time enjoying our days (especially the rest of these summer days) and less time fretting.  Now THAT would be nice!

"For freedom Christ has set us free..."  Galatians 5:1

2 comments:

melissa said...

An excellent post. Just excellent. I'm totally on board with you on this. :)

podso said...

Good lesson. And Lucy is talking already? Why is it kids are so eager to learn cursive? Our nieces are working on it secretly too! And will they write much? or use the computer! I wonder if beautiful handwriting is still taught (or learned) ... Good start to school for you!