Thursday, November 11, 2010

History

I wanted to wear just the right thing.  Not too dressy.  Not too casual.
I wanted to say the right things.  Laugh at the right times.
I was nervous.
I was excited.  Very excited.
He had caught my eye at home group.
Beth and I chose one particular group because there were a lot of single guys signed up for it.  The group got too big so they split it.  Oh well, I thought.
But he was there.  And Beth knew him and said it would be a perfect match.
He drove a green truck.  He did landscaping at the time.  And he was so nice.  And so ruggedly handsome. I felt comfortable around him.
Finally he asked me out.  Of course I said yes.
We went to Spanky's for dinner on a Tuesday night.
I remember what he looked like sitting across the table from me.
It was easy.
I was hooked.
Twelve years ago today.  Our first date.
Four months later we were engaged.  Four months after that we were married.
And now four kids later and a lot of our own history, I'd do it all over again.

3 comments:

Jenny and Andy Benson said...

I cried when I read this! I could just picture you guys meeting for the first time. Anyone who knows you knows what a perfect match you two are. How we miss you! Hope you enjoy today remembering those first butterflies!
Love,
Jenny

The Wild, Wild Westerners said...

Happy first date Anniversary! Funny, just a couple of days ago I remembered sitting in JMU's Wilson Hall and you telling me about him and saying, "I adore him!" It made me smile. :)

podso said...

My goodness, how did I miss this romantic post? Congratulations! A lot took place in twelve short years! God has blessed you and is using you, that's obvious!

Lights in the windows across the street after a new roof (gray) and other inside work. Have yet to get a visual or a handshake. I guess we were up in CH when they moved in this w/e.