Friday, September 3, 2010

A Mixed Bag

It's done.  The first week.  I hesitate to say this because you never know what people think about homeschooling but let me just say it was a tough week.  Shepherding young hearts is not easy.  Especially when your own heart is a mess.  And mine is.  I concur with Paul when he laments that he does what he does not want to do and he does not do what he wants to do.  I have not been the mom and teacher I wanted to be this week.  I have felt frustrated, angry, and discouraged.  And do you know what?  I'll live right through it.
For me, homeschooling is not a statement against public or private school.  It's just what we want for our family, and we believe God is calling us to it.  So the fact that it gets hard sometimes is not a reason to say maybe we shouldn't be doing this.  It's all the more reason to press on.  If and when we choose another schooling option it won't be because we have tough days here and there.  It will be because that's what we feel is the next step for our children.
All that to say, while I'm glad to have this week behind me, I'm more thankful for God's grace that is greater than my weakness, greater than my sin.

So, what can I say about this week?  Well, first, we had a great weekend with family and I will post pictures when I figure out this new Mac (new to us anyway) that my parents handed down to us.  We love it!
Second, Jack's prayer request in Sunday school was for Lucy to start crawling.  Guess who decided to really get going Monday morning?  Oh my.  So we had to stop everything, pick up everything from the floor and vacuum because the girl is everywhere.
Our caterpillars came in the mail Tuesday and we now have cocoons in the house.  Five of them.  It really is pretty amazing to watch.
We went to Classical Conversations (CC) and it was great.  All the kids were troopers.  We're into European Seas, Charlemagne, and History timeline cards, to name a few things.
Kayla is memorizing this stuff like a champ.  Jack wrote a fantastic paragraph- which I might post later.
Samuel's turning into a dancing machine.
The craziest development is that Jack has a new idea to make some money.  He is charging Kayla to rent his toys.  She paid him 75 cents to play with Brian's old Star Wars figures for three hours.  I'm not kidding.

For your encouragement and mind:
"And let us not grow weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  Galatians 6:9

2 comments:

melissa said...

Oh bless your heart. And after doing exactly what you're doing for around, um, 18 years or so (gasp!), I can honestly say that it IS hard.

Just remember to pace yourself. It is a challenge, but not one that is supposed to make you miserable.

Take care of *you* as well. :) And, btw, nobody told me that when I had been homeschooling for a brief time. I thought I had to be superwoman. And you know what? I don't!

The Wild, Wild Westerners said...

Sorry you had a hard week, I know you all are doing a great job! Jack's idea made me laugh out loud.