Wednesday, October 1, 2008

To Complain or Not to Complain...

Today had the potential to be "one of those days." The house was a mess. We really needed to do a Walmart run. Laundry. Etc... Our Walmart trip was exasperating with Samuel crying throughout most of the trip and very slow people in every aisle!! I felt like screaming! And yet the whole time, as I wanted so much to be justified in my frustrations, a couple of verses from 1 Samuel kept coming to mind. (The ladies Bible study at church is doing a study on 1 Samuel).

"The Lord brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up. The Lord sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts."

Now, I didn't think our morning was quite so dire! But, the point is, the Lord is intimately involved with all details of our lives and if we trust His sovereignty in the big things, is there really ever a good reason to complain about these minor annoyances or inconveniences? No. So though I'd like to be able to really do some whining of my own sometimes, I hope instead that I will trust God's hand as He is at work, even in Walmart.
As the day went on, we found many things to enjoy. Here's a sample!



He looks like he got caught! He actually sat to look at books.


Kayla just had her nails painted. Looking a little wild!
We enjoyed dinner and birthday cake with Grandpa. Notice the little finger making its way toward the frosting!
Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Shawn Carpenter said...

Thanks for the good reminder!! He is so so so good to love us and care for all His details in these lives of ours! Laura